Saturday 30 December 2017

Drodie Drawson

So the Doctor (from Doctor a Who) is now officially of the opposite gender. To commemorate this moment, here's a gender bent Droey Drawson. Don't worry, this one won't be taking over; say hello to Drodie!


This was a fun challenge, it has been a fair while since I ever gender swapped a character, I haven't done it since Droey's Draws began (at least not that I can remember).  The only thing about doing this, and this is just my opinion, is that people make too much of an effort to fit the stereotype of the opposite gender when a character is gender bent. Given that the only change is the gender, it should be primarily anatomical changes that are made and then small changes here and there to fit with the already made changes. Sorry, that might sound rather complicated.

Having expressed my opinion about gender swapped designs, I made as few changes to Droey as possible, while making sure the result was easily identifiable as female. The biggest change was the hairstyle, which is still long but is in a ponytail. I would've had Drodie's hair down but it may have poorly affected the silhouette for the design; most likely being too similar to Droey.

I added two accessories to the design, a moustache necklace and the shoulder bag. Now I actually have a shoulder bag, but since they seem to be a popular part of female fashion I made the bag a permanent part of the design. The trousers were going to be replaced with leggings but I reverted back to the idea of trousers, though so they wouldn't clash with the bag, I recoloured them to a darker shade of blue.

Had Drodie been given a symbol on her shirt, I would have used the female symbol in pink. The only reason I didn't draw this symbol of her shirt is because the strap of the bag and her arm were blocking the view.

I did a sketch prior to the final result in which most of the decisions were made. However one thing my mind was not made up on was the head. I originally was going to scrap the cap and replace it with a headband, having Drodie's hair going straight down. I did some experimentation with different hairstyles for Drodie, but had decided to give her the hat after all.

Will Drodie ever be seen again, who knows? Maybe she and Droey will do an Eddsworld and crossover from alternate dimensions sometime. But for now, the return of Drodie Drawson and her future are yet to be decided. Enjoy the rest of 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment