Friday 27 October 2017

The Trotters [Only Fools And Horses]

After giving Uncle Albert some attention in The Alphabet Challenge, I decided to depict all four main members of the Trotter family. This consists of Del Boy, Rodney, Grandad and Uncle Albert.

For those of you who don't know what 'Only Fools And Horses' is, it is a comedy series by the BBC famous for it's hooky salesmanship family and their never ending get rich quick schemes in Peckham.


I'm going to be honest, this wasn't as enjoyable as I had hoped. For most of the sketching process I was enjoying myself but then the joy faded away. I have marched on regardless until this piece was completed, taking me about five days to finish it. Unfortunately the lack of joy in making this causes me not to feel so satisfied with the result, so I'll let you guys take total control over deciding how great it is.

Part of me doesn't know how this piece took that many days, I've clearly forgotten how I spent one of them! But it was the standard process of sketch, ink and colour. I used my pencils since they would provide me with an optimal variety of colour and allow me to make less saturated tones. For the most parts the colours are a decent match to those which are true to the costumes and actors.

My favourite things about this if undoubtedly the heads. Each head was modelled after each actor rather than giving them a standard head shape. This paid off particularly well with Grandad and Rodney, the latter I think is actually the better portrayed overall. Another enjoyable task was Del Boy's arms, giving him his cigar and a cocktail, which I've never drawn before so it was a nice first! The cocktail is modeled after one of many that Del has drunk in the show.

I think it will be a while before I do something like this again, simply because it lacked the joy I usually have with my art. I do hope I can be more passionate about my work if I do this again in future, especially if I draw the cast of Only Fools And Horses again.

No comments:

Post a Comment