Friday 6 October 2017

Marker Test - WHSmith 12 Pack

I was recently shopping and took opportunity of this offer in which some pens were being sold half price in this new set up promoting artistic exploration. Along with something you'll see in the future at some point, there was a pack of 12 dual tip brush markers, so I thought 'why not?'.

Below is what these markers are capable of. I made use of half of them to create this lady holding her phone.


Based on what I did for this piece, I was satisfied with them. They brush well and for the most part their colour remains flat rather than layered (as would be the case with felt pens). I doubt that they are capable of blending, I did try with the skin tone and pink. But I have yet to blend any marker ink, (in hoping  to buy another park with a blender before I try at it). In hindsight, while it would have cost more I feel I should have got the 24 pack so as to get a wider variety of colours. I'd say if you want to get started with markers, these aren't a bad first step.

Drawing this girl, I sketched her using  my mechanical pencil, not focusing on the details so much but the shapes. After that I erased the pencil so that it would be just visible enough to trace with the markers. These pens are good at cell shading, I was able to make about three or four layers of colour in some places, particularly on her top.

Her hair was where I took caution. I would be layering my black marker over the brown in order to create her black hair colour, leaving some hints of brown where lights could be shining on it. This allowed the skin and hair to look separate, but when layering the skin tone, I think the brown marker got a bit too dark, I only added one layer on top of the original.

Be sure to try out these markers or some of the other stock going on in this art deal, it's pretty good and I'm tempted to return for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment