Friday 3 March 2017

Touch The Rainbow, Taste The Rainbow!

Spring is here, yay!


Recently I started using Pinterest as a means of looking for inspiration, and it is because of this particular image below that I made the piece I'm sharing with you today.

Image from Pinterest, not my own work

While as a traditional artist, I don't have the supplies and means to create something quite like this (as much as I would love to) this image made me want to do something with a rainbow effect. I don't recall ever actually doing anything like this before, unless drawing a rainbow itself, so this was going to be a first for me.

As to what I would create, I was stumped. I didn't want to do anything too similar to Mabel and her flowing hair because it wouldn't feel like I was creating anything but just copying. And then on the TV came an advert that while one of my family may not particular like, it amuses the rest of us very much.

Skittles at the moment are broadcasting an advert where someone of the Rasta culture was milking a giraffe eating from a rainbow cloud. I shan't say anymore but instead let you see for yourself in case you haven't seen it. 

Please note that I am by no means advertising Skittles, I'm going to honest and claim I have never eaten a Skittles or intend to.




Having seen this, it came to me. I chose to create a giraffe constructed solely of colours from the rainbow. I left their skin's natural yellow tone and used the rest of the colours to create the eyes, hair, spots and hooves.


I did not use any pencil prior to colouring this but went straight into using coloured pencils for the best possible outcome. My only regret is that I didn't leave any room for green spots, but luckily the hooves needed to be a different colour from yellow. Overall I love this very much and it was a nice bit of fun to create this, especially considering I've never tried to realistically draw a giraffe before.

No comments:

Post a Comment