Saturday 25 March 2017

Never Mind - Doctor Who Competition Entries

At the start of the year, a competition was held regarding their upcoming book 'Illustrated Adventures'. Entrants would be allowed to submit as many entries as they liked but only one per competitor would be chosen, if you were lucky enough to win.

I had the intention of creating four entries, two based on the episodes of the previous millennium and two from the current run of the show. However time was an issue since I had less than a month to complete these pieces, so I cut it down to the two I was most certain on. So my entries were as follows.

'Bad Wolf/Parting Of The Ways'

This is a multimedia piece made from fineliners and pencil. You'll notice I have used coloured fineliners to outline this piece instead of black (with the exception or parts of the dalek saucer. I knew from the beginning I wanted to capture Rose Tyler destroying the saucers and later on decided to add the Bad Wolf lettering that she scatters across time and space. The coloured outlines allow each section of this peice to stand out against the rest, such as Rose's outline being red and the explosions containing fragments of orange outline.

'The Angels Take Manhattan'

This peice I also knew from the beginning what I wanted to do. This piece took a more stylized approach and did break a minor rule, I added an extra gravestone but you can see my reasons for making this decision and through using silhouettes this makes it easier to signify that two beloved characters have died. This is what I'd say to be the best moment about series 7, a most satisfactory ending to one of my favorite TARDIS teams. I chose to integrate Manhattan into my piece by actually drawing above the lettering, the graves growing out from the title where the situation captured from the episode take place.

My favourite thing about this piece is not within the choice to use silhouettes, not the idea to build this scene on top of Manhattan itself but a very minor detail in River Song and the Weeping Angel. If you take a look at The Doctor, he is crying as he mourns over Amy and Rory, with his eyes closed. Meanwhile River Song, despite the loss of her parents and the heartbreak of her husband continues to stare at the weeping angel, so that they themselves can survive. That's what makes this such a powerful scene for me, and thus inspired me to recreate this moment for the competition.

Unfortunately, I have not won the competition, hence my posting the entries. We'd have found out last month if we had won, and if anyone had not claimed their prize, other winners would be informed this month.

But regardless of my loss in the competition, I enjoyed making both of these and having a bit of an experiment. I say congratulations to all of those who have had the fortune to win this competition, I hope you had as much fun or more when working towards the prize. And if you didn't win like myself, I applaud you Whovians for giving it a shot, don't turn down a chance of an art competition, it's always worth making an entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment