Wednesday 1 August 2018

Cowboy Versus Ninja

I had a watch at a music video that I hadn't seen in a long time. It was my favourite masterpiece by Jervy Hou, titled 'Gunman Style' which has a sequel equally brilliant titled 'Gentleman'. They were parodies of Psy's songs which took a Wild West spin on the original music videos. I was inspired to make an art piece out of these music videos and so here is the result.


I now have fine liners in sepia tone! While they don't overlap so well, creating a series of much darker marks when they do, it certainly creates a more refreshing result than the typical black outlines. This was the perfect piece to use sepia tone on and allowed my colour theory skills to come through, at least I hope so!

The cowboy design is heavily based on Jervy Hou's cowboy costume while the ninja was an original design to feel less out of place. Ninja now has a clan logo stitched on his costume, the emblem meant to resemble the big toe. I gave him a dark red colour to wear instead of black since I didn't want any black in this piece. Additionally I read somewhere that ninjas are less likely to wear black since it makes them stand out even more. So western ninja now has mahogany clothing.

I returned to realism for this piece and I have absolutely no regrets! This piece, slightly reminiscent of Mac and Quaid's debut, turned out a true beauty and made the character's designs all the more appealing. Watercolour pencils were used to colour this piece, using only shades of red, brown and yellow. This set the sepia tone effect in stone and did wonders in combination with the outlines made in brown.

I can't be certain of when I'll need to use sepia toned line art again but I know that I've got the pens for when I do need. Maybe a number of flashback pieces for Droey and Co. would be a good idea. If you have any ideas I'd be glad to hear them, or even see you try them out for yourself! Let us be proud of our sepia tone artworks, and here's to making more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment