Wednesday 15 August 2018

April and the Turtles

Got some new pens recently, a little collection of ball point pens. They make sketching nice and colourful and it's also good for aiding confidence when making lines. On this occasion I may have gotten a little carried away and made a full art piece.


So I was thinking of doing some Apritello fan art (for those not in the know, April and Donatello from TMNT) and wanted to make my own design for April. I do like the 2012 design, hence it's heavy influence on my own design, but there are some elements that I wanted to change to honour previous incarnations of April. This included the darker hair colour, the number six on the shirt and a colour scheme closer to her 1987 jumpsuit design. The elements of blue are based on the mirage comic April's costume, which was completely blue!

As for the turtles, I just drew them in the style at Leonardo was seen in about a year ago. Their colour schemes while using colours from the 2012 incarnation are based on their 1987 designs, including the initials on their belt buckles.

To my knowledge this is the first piece I have done for the blog with multicoloured outlines, which is quite a breakthrough! It made this piece feel more vibrant and while I'm used to using black for outlines, it's good to know I now have a variety of colours capable of the job.

What is your favourite version of the Ninja Turtles, and do you have your own designs for these characters and perhaps the others? I'd be interested to see what you have come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment