Wednesday 29 May 2019

At Least It's Not Raining...

And here we are at the end of Mermay. Here's the artwork that was uploaded to YouTube earlier this month. Julia is not happy but her friend Sandy tries to lift her spirits.


I was kindly given some more Gouaches by a fellow artist and decided to put them to use for this video. It makes sense to use water based paints for a Mermay illustration. This was however the first time I used gouaches on sketchbook paper instead of canvas, and I think this makes a distinct difference in the quality of my painting.

Some of the colours aren't as spot on as I had hoped, but gouaches are quite easy to mix and the colours I've gotten as a result are very close to what they were intended to be. I had done a sketch of the characters and was painting on top of that, it wasn't until afterwards I went back over with the line art. This is something I can't recall doing since Entry J for the Alphabet Challenge and after that long time gap I seem to have done much better at this method.

There only a couple of big issues with this illustration. One of them is the that fact the text isn't so easy to read since I didn't paint any white for the speech bubble. The other issue, a minor problem is that Sandy's bikini is incomplete, she doesn't have a strap going around her back!

In case you haven't seen it yet, here's the YouTube video showing the time-lapse of this art piece.


That's it for Mermay, I hope you enjoyed it and got drawing some mermaids yourself! Normal content will resume Saturday so be sure to come back to more Droey's Draws content in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment