Wednesday 8 May 2019

Banksea

I found an image of a drawing on the sand and with Mermay in my head I had a brain explosion. A character called 'Banksea'! I an unlikely to be the first person who has come up with this idea but I'm definitely going to practice it!


Not far from where Droey lives, there's an anonymous beach artist who goes by the name of Banskea, all anyone has ever seen of them is their tail which can be mistaken for a paintbrush. They come by and make drawings in the sand before swimming away into the depths of the ocean again, only to return another time to draw on their sandy canvas.

I chose to use two mediums that I don't often work in; pencils and my brush pen. I don't use the brush pen for line art often if at all because of the lack of control I have over brushes. But given that the tail was a brush shape I decided this was reason enough to draw the line art with a brush pen.

When this was done, I wasn't feeling very passionate towards this piece which is what allowed me to be experimental enough to use pencils for the shading. I tried to vary the tones though I think each section blends into the next too easily, except for Banksea's tail. I used an eraser where I had stopped shading to mark the sun. The eraser allowed me to make a realistic gradient between the sun and the darkening sky.

Not every art piece has to be made at it's best, some are an oppurtunity to mess around with supplies and practice skills you think you need to learn. That's what happened here with Banksea's debut, are there any part pieces where you have just experimented with unfamiliar mediums?

No comments:

Post a Comment