Wednesday 22 May 2019

Mermen Will Be Mermen

Boys will be boys and mermen will be mermen. 


Kyle's back at last, and he's got some friends with him! These are his mates Jason and Bob, but what are this trio up to? There's a boat passing by hosting a rather fancy party and these three mermen have their eyes on one particular guest of the party with a starfish styled mermaid dress. This blue haired beauty has no idea that she is being observed by three lustful youngsters who can do nothing but dream on!

This piece came about as a combination of two ideas. I had this concept in mind of the three mermen looking towards something but it felt too much like 'On The Rocks' which I did earlier this month, so I needed something to make this piece more different. This is where the second idea came in, which was a call back to the mermaid dress illustration I did featuring Ariana Sketchbook and Anne Natalie.  This time rather than drawing a dress I drew a mermaid skirt and designed the colour scheme to draw attention towards the skirt, which I suppose would be the vocal point of this entire illustration!

I had no idea what I was doing with Bob's design, other than that he's got a birthmark and that he's meant to be more fish like than Jason and Kyle. I meant to give all three of the mermen warmer colour scheme but again Bob seemed to contradict this idea. Luckily his design still stands out from the background, which is why I intended to give the mermen warmer colour schemes.

Neither of these ideas would have been very distinctive alone, but together they created a beautiful and slightly humorous outcome. Have you tried combining your ideas before to create something new? It could be two concepts or two methods, or more than two of whatever, just don't go overboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment