Wednesday 30 January 2019

The Disney Duck Kids

This has been on my to do list for a while, it's just been something I felt was quite difficult to accomplish. I decided it was time to tackle this challenge and I couldn't be happier that I did. Behold Hewy, Dewey and Louie in Droey's Draws style!


Despite three of them being triplets, I wanted to make the head designs more diverse. I picked three shapes to suit the ducks, Hewy got a square, Dewey a circle while Louis and Webby have arches at different angles. Webby was originally going to get a squared head but it wasn't working. Her design is now the closest to the official design out of the four ducks as a result.

The bodies start off as a typical Droey's Draws style body, but are given circular hips to which the tail is added at the back and then some duck feet drawn in a style resembling the stilts used in the children's book 'Elmer on Stilts'. A strange reference for DuckTales content but it works nicely. The only part of the design that is a direct match to the official designs are the beaks, which otherwise I would have had a great struggle with.

There is a great absence of black in this piece, simply because I fancied using my coloured ballpoints to outline the ducks. The eye colours were going to be black but I felt like giving them their token colours instead simply because it would look more interesting than black eyes. There is also a great absence of necks, Dewey was the only design intended not to have a neck but it ended up being just Hewy who had a neck!

Have you drawn the Disney Ducks lately? I'd be interested to see how you've interpreted them, and if you stuck with either TV incarnation or give them an original twist!

No comments:

Post a Comment