Wednesday 16 January 2019

Cowabunga!

The heroes in a half shell have recently returned to television in 'Rise Of The TMNT', but their designs are questionable. I decided to design the turtles fit for Droey's Draws style and see how I could handle the decisions taken to make the turtles more diverse. In theory this as a wonderful idea but in reality it turned out to be a real pain in the neck!


I had in mind what I wanted to achieve out of each turtle, though maybe a bit more time working on these designs would've paid off. I'll go through the four of them one at a time from left to right.

Michelangelo was going to be the short and pudgy looking turtle, going with the youthful idea that seemed to resonate with both 2012 and 2018 Mikey. This would also draw the most inspiration from Leonardo as I drew him in 2017 (which you can find in the May 2017 chapter on this blog). With that in mind Mikey should've been the easiest turtle to work on and have turned out the best. I can't quite work out what it is but something doesn't feel right when I look at him. I'm confident that I could get this design to look good if I drew it again.

Raphael is the best one of the lost, there's no question about it! I wanted bulky looking Raphael with the shell crack, but not for him to be the biggest truffle. Going by height comparison you may notice I've followed the 2012 designs by going Mikey, Raph, Leo and Donnie. The squared design of Raphael suits him well, looks good in practicality and always grabs my attention looking at this piece, for being so decent in comparison to those sat next to him!

Leonardo would've had a full body view between Raphael and Donatello but there was no room. That's my only stigma attached to Leo, he otherwise looks fine. He would've had the standard looking body type for my characters, which would probably look good if I drew the whole thing. He was supposed to be holding his katana a but I placed them in his holder which means his left arm is sticking out for no reason... whoops.

Lastly is Donatello, oh Donatello. It's always been the case that I struggle heavily with any Donatello whatever style I draw him in! It's like I'm cursed never to draw a good Donnie and this example might just be the most evident of this curse! I liked the idea of him being a soft shelled turtle with a mecha back, slightly reminiscent of the era of Turtle comics that got debunked. But the mecha shell seemed to fail and his long, thin limbs stick out weirdly. The arms using his T-phone are the best part, they're fine and that's about it.

His head was only meant to be an extension of his neck, akin to actual turtle heads but it ended up being a rectangular block on top of his neck. The bandana replacement was a nice idea, it was going to be a mecha headband with activation buttons that could trigger his shell's actions, such as releasing his staff or making transformations, again inspired by the 2018 Donatello. Lastly I could not ignore 2012 Donnie's gap tooth!

Looking back on this, I think it would be an injustice if I left this the way it is. While I won't redraw this piece, I am definitley going to redraw all four of these turtles to improve their designs and make them more appealing. Additionally I will do what I intended to do with this piece and include the famous controversial fifth turtle, Venus de Milo! I would've positioned her close by feeling left out, a bit of meta humour if you will. Rest assured these turtles will return better than ever before and Venus will be with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment