Wednesday 23 January 2019

Kasey's Favourite Anime?

Kasey Golden once opened a box of Japanese treats filled with anime sponsoring treats. But the anime that took her by surprise was the appearance of Thomas the Tank Engine! I know what I have to do...


Many cartoons have had actual anime adaptations or have been adapted into the anime style by fans. Thomas seemed to receive little of this treatment, at least from what I could find so I had to rely on my own knowledge and sits to try and bring Thomas into the anime scene. I ended up going back to 1991's 'Thomas, Percy and the Dragon', although an episode with a Chinese theme, it was the closest to anime I could think of excluding the Magic Railroad film.

The sketch for the Chinese dragon was genuinely better than the final result, which I don't dislike. I grabbed a reference photo for the sketch and the result just looked gorgeous! Such a complicated design and I think I nailed it, it certainly made me feel confident enough to include the dragon in the final piece. The same can be said for the anime styled Fat Controller, I couldn't resist slipping him into the illustration.

I wanted someone to be asking Kasey what her favourite anime was, and was considering the inclusion of a Droey and Co. member, but settled on putting Kasey and her buddy, DrawingWiffWaffles, together for the first time. There is a particular design for Waffles' avatar that was perfect for featuring in this piece, the very first of her videos that I saw. DrawingWiffWaffles received a Scrawlrbox with the challenge set to manga herself, that design being recreated here in my style, otherwise she either wouldn't fit, would be too small or just look out of place. I have recently mastered braids so it was lovely to continue drawing them as a part of Manga Waffles' hair style.

I used my water colour pencils (sorry Kasey!) since I hadn't done so in a while, I felt it was only fair to use some kind of watercolour since it was a Kasey themed illustration. Due to the details involved I kept the colouring simple with no shading.

This is the second time I've illustrated Kasey Golden, he first time her irises were black instead of hazel, but then that was before the face reveal! Which other YouTubers do you think I should come back to? You can see the nine YouTubers I originally drew in a blog post dating as far back as early 2018, feel free to check it out!

1 comment:

  1. nice post, keep up with this interesting work. It really is good to know that this topic is being covered also on this web site so cheers for taking time to discuss this!
    Best Anime

    ReplyDelete