Wednesday 18 April 2018

Sector V in Drawson Style

So one of the greatest Cartoon Network shows of all time is Codename Kids Next Door. My first episode was Minigolf, but many years later I sought to watch the entirety of the show and have sucseeded. I have since actually created artwork based on this franchise a few times before. You'll kind a pretty accurate Kuki Sanban and a Sonic the Hedgehog style Nigel Uno. Today you get to see the whole of Sector V on my behalf for the first time ever!


I have rearely drawn any kids in the Drawson style before. The exceptions to the rule would be Phineas, Ferb and the PowerPuff Girls (who I should consider redoing). I tackled the most famous group of trouble making kids to excerise youthful proportions. I believe this excersise had paid off.

Without a doubt the easiest of these to create was Kuki Sanban, as a character design I consider her close to perfect; not because her hands are concealed by her sweater! I also had an easy time working with Nigel and Abigail, who has made me reconsider the way I draw my hats! Hoagie was rather difficult, but I think I was able to make it work for him. You probably can't notice it since he's at the back but maybe I'll draw all five of these separately.

I tried my best to convert these characters to the Drawson style but it wasn't a walk in the park. Their designs are partly the inspiration to the Drawson style and certain elements of these character were so distinct like their head shapes that if I allowed them all to keep features from their official designs I would fail to transfer them to my style completely. I think compromise came best with Wallabe who keeps the rugby ball shaped head and gains the big eyes. Kuki would probably have these but as you can see she's overjoyed as she grabs hold of Wallabe.

Also if you're wondering what kind of Ice cream Abigail is licking, well you should have watched the show; then you might get it! Well that's all about this little piece, come back again for more art soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment