Saturday 21 April 2018

Muttony!

You heard the title right, Muttony!

So my younger brother has never heard of the word mutiny and he asks if it is something to do with Sheep! Thus came the birth of 'Muttony', I couldn't pass up the chance to put together a little scene to illustrate his theory.


This started off as simply being a Sheep sent to walk the plank. But it became a little more creative as time went on. For a laugh I decided to add some vegetables in the sea like the sea below would be a lamb dinner, waiting for it's lamb. That's why the sea is now a pool of gravy. As I was giving the piece it's colour I thought to myself, why not go a little further? Now the boat is more like a gravy pot and it's deck a patch of grass to make the Sheep feel a bit more at home.

In hindsight, I should have done more to diversify the Sheep than give them different colours. I know there are some minor differences like eyes, a bandana and a beard. But I'm thinking we could have had a Ram or a young Lamb? Doing more like that might have given our Sheep crew a bit more universal appeal. I could have also tried to make a Shark out of something but I was at a loss for what to do there. Adding a real Shark would have spoiled the creativity somewhat, it would not be fitting amongst the gravy and veg.

This was a good opportunity to return to my watercolour pencils. I have not been using them so much lately since the sketchbook I work in has paper less strong than the previous, thus water colour illustrations really go for the habit of buckling. But I have got some watercolour paper for rarer occasions, which will bring about the use of water coloured pencils. Perhaps it'll be a chance for me to improve my watercolour skills, I feel there is some untapped potential with my equipment but I'm sure to find out in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment