Friday 2 February 2018

Character Design Challenge. - As set by DrawWithJazza

Before I start about today's art piece, I would like to remind you all that the poll for the annual 'Mix'Match Shipping' art piece will be closing within this week. If you haven't voted yet then I highly recommend that you do, there's two polls to vote on and you can go as crazy as you like. Let your friends and family know so they can get in on this unconventional match making challenge!

In Jazza's most recent character design session, he set the challenge to design the following character; a Victorian a Romance Asian with Burns and Scars, a Beefy and Muscular body type and with Shy characteristics. Now I like drawing characters so when given this prompt, it was unlikely that I would turn down the challenge!


I got down to business taking sketches of the elements necessary for my character. I was almost immediately satisfied with the character until it came to the burns and scars. I was still getting over the end of the Nickelodeon series 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' at the time, so the first thing that came to mind with the burns and scars was Shredder. I took reference of his burns and then started focusing on other elements of the design. But I came back with a new idea inspired by 'Phantom of the Opera' in which to show his shy personality, he would hide behind a mask. Now I had the task of remoulding the scars so they could be hidden by the mask, and designing a mask that could cover the scars. I found one that would cover the chin and went along with that idea.


Out of all colour schemes I have created, this might be one of the easiest. There is a lot of brown and cream on this character. This largely being down to that fact the Victorian suit that I chose was in these colours and that sepia tones are quite Victorian-esque. The burns and scars would be a fleshy red so that was my next colour, it turned out to look rather good as part of his costume and to signify the romance I had given him a rose, so that would also be coloured red. The stem of the rose would have to be green and I had yet to decide on a colour for the mask, at least until I had finished the stem. I gave the mask the same shade of green as the rose stem and that was it.

A lovely pattern in the background later and I was done. This character design gave me a fair bit of new things to try and however well that was done, I have done it. I can't say wether or not I will return to this character, I rarely do anything historical as period is not my style (yet I watch Doctor Who, no stranger to historical settings!)

I suggest you give this character design a try and if you can, show it to Jazza so he can see what you've attempted. For those of you interested in making your own interpretation of the character, here's the ssential criteria:

Victorian Roamance
Asian
Burns and Scars
Beefy and Muscular
Shy

Expect more romance themed content coming soon, welcome to February everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment