Saturday 10 February 2018

Sellouts - Sexy Benjamin Fan Art

Just want to remind everyone that this Wednesday marks the release of the results and artwork for the annual 'Mix'Match Shipping' challenge! Be sure to come back and find out who the winning couple is!

Last year a game came out that caught the attention of lets players and artists, this was the game Passpartout. When one obnoxious but consistent artist tried his hand at the game, he discovered the internet sensation that is Sexy Benjamin. This built up to a live action take on the game Passpartout starring French Jazza and Sexy Benjamin, here is the recreation of my favourite scene.


I got my best equipment for the task, my Micron liners and my Tombow markers and set to work at the recreation. Quite obviously I was going to use my realistic style otherwise it would be a very different result. I used a thicker liner for the characters to help them stand out further, but as you can see I went around the characters with my white pen just to make sure. You may also notice how some of the inks are blending together now, with the use of my blende markers which have finally been put to use! They're not entirely what I expected but they do the job.

I chose to capture the moment when Jazza confesses to having been sold out while offering Sexy Benjamin some of his baguette (not an euthanism!) because this was the moment that struck me as being the most beautiful. Despite this comedic performance, this moment of kindness was played so well and even out of context stands alone as a beautiful moment that expresses understanding, sympathy, generosity and apology.

I don't often draw scenery but when I do, it means I'm probably going to do it with passion (again not an euthanism!). I didn't want to recreate the upper right corner because most of it was caught in the light of the sun and it was a good place to write the quotation that I use for this piece. It took me a good half hour looking back and forth from my piece to the screen capture, making sure I got enough details and that I got them right. I did have to get creative with the people on the river since you can't tell what they actually look like with the angle of the sunlight.

I am over the moon with how this turned out, it is one of the most beautiful pieces that I have created since starting this blog. Everything from Jazza and Benjamin to the lighting effect on the water (seriously, I don't know how I pulled that off but I love it so much!) just looks so good together. I did my best to make this as accurate as possible and even if it isn't completely accurate, the style is at least consistent in it's quality throughout and I couldn't be happier.

If you haven't yet watched any of the Sexy Benjamin content on DrawWithJazza's channel, I highly recommend it! Don't worry, It's not explicit or anything like that, nothing more than a good genuine laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment