Saturday 23 September 2017

Magna Girl Fan Art

It might be old news to you, but DrawingWiffWaffles is a YouTube art channel that I very much enjoy viewing. With such being the case I am aware of her web comic 'Magna Girl' and so far have enjoyed it very much.

As a fan of Magna Girl, I thought I'd take a shot at depicting her with my own creative hands. I hope to have done her justice.


So the costume is based on the one seen in her style swap video where she draws Magna girl in the Manga style. Her hair style however is based on the Maggie that we know at the start of the comic (and have seen in most other artworks). I'm not sure if this causes any continuity clashes, the comic (at the time of posting this) has yet to put Magna girl in her costume.

I was really happy with how the anatomy turned out in this drawing, while some might not consider it perfect (I don't expect it to be), it is certainly great compared to most of my more realistic approaches. I particularly love her legs and right arm, they just look so brilliant!

The challenges of this piece were the fire and the head. Heads as drawn by Waffles are difficult to portray in a different style I find. Her heads are so distinctive that I struggle to see the head as that of  a Waffles character if it is not drawn in her style. So I set about trying to get a close to the style as I could without replicating it. The end result was quite satisfying, I think the nose is a match and her ear is something I was also impressed with.

I have drawn fire before and most times I have been satisfied, but trying to draw fire as some kind of magical entity is simpler than I thought it would be. The only real challenge with his fire was preventing any two sections of it from looking exactly alike, as it would feel less natural that way.

DrawingWiffWaffles, if you're reading this or have seen this piece, I really hope you do like it and that Maggie has been portrayed to your satisfaction. I'll be sure to keep up to date with her adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment