Friday 22 September 2017

100th Post! - Droey and Co.

I was making this by chance alongside tomorrow's piece but I realized that this week would be my 100th post on the blog! So I decided this (given the nature of what I was creating) would get the honour of being presented on this post.

You most probably have seen them all before, but now see them unite together in this creative little poster of Droey and Co!


Meet the familiar faces that you have gotten to discover throughout the past 100 posts as well as a couple of new ones. I shan't give the less obvious ones away in case you feel like guessing. Instead these boxes will be referred to from top left to bottom right.

On the top frame we've got the iconic Drawson sword, which can be seen in the sidebar as held by Droey Drawson. This is a watercolour pencil piece, over the past few months I have come to love watercolour pencils. I was never good with watercolour paint, be it a case of colours being too muted or patchy, so the pencils allowed me to succeed where normally I hadn't. Having said that, I'm afraid that this particular box is one of my less favourite jobs with this tool. Perhaps I was a bit impatient, but as a result some of the paint bled beyond repair. I shan't say where, I suppose it can be seen without my mentioning. If you didn't notice, then yipee I guess!

Back in February, I took a couple of character design polls and a situation poll which resulted in the creation of two lovers, one of which is Quaid. I was considering adding colour to his face but after colouring the background of his piece with fireworks in the night (reminiscent to his original appearance), his face seemed to make the perfect contrast.

For similar reasons, Mac's face is also left white. For those of you unaware, Mac is the Elven man of the couple. His background contains a rainbow, since he is one of a homosexual couple. I felt the rainbow would suit him better than it would Quaid. Mac's face is left white because I didn't want his face to clash with the rainbow in the background, it could have resulted in being an eyesore. On the positive side, his face now matches Quaid somewhat, still a match made in heaven!

This man needs no introductions, it's Droey Drawson himself. Droey is coloured in pencil while his background is a striped pattern to match his eyes, inked with pens of the same brand. My only nitpick is the skin tone, as since recent months Droey's skintone is no longer Caucasian (as in the peachy skin tone) but is just pure white.

If my memory serve me right, this one never actually has shown up on the blog yet. He doesn't really have a name or anything to him other than this rather simplistic getup. All I can say is that his arm is like that of an olympic torch, the element of fire being something he can play to his advantage. Maybe one day you'll get to see the full view of this mysterious man.

The masterpiece this is based on, I often look back to with great pride. It was simply a character design session and accidentally became experimental, out of my style and popular. Hence my decision to give it the biggest square of the lot. This is the fortune telling orb leaving a reminder of a rather deadly fortune teller, from the iconic 'I never meant this to happen'. This time I used better quality materials to add some grey tones and I think the smaller scale helps the ball point pen's shading effect.

This ear piercing decorated with the Drawson star, as well as the purple spots, are token traits to the character design of Anne Natalie, one of the original members of Droey and Co. Admittedly she has not seen much attention, particularly in recent months but I don't have anything against bringing her back into the spotlight, she most probably will be showing up again.

Droey Drawson was given a robotic counterpart some time around March or April, this is called 'Drobot'. Here you can see a close up of his head piece which replaces Droey's cap, as well as Drobot's visor. I applied a base of very light blues and greens and then shaded the metallic work with a pencil. Highliters were used for the reflective effect and some grey scale markers added shading to the white sections.

Tenvad is aside from Droey, the first member of the group. This box matched the shape of her face, just about. It made sense to simply place her face in it's place. A highlighter was used for her green screen and also her lips. The rest was done with my usual pens. Normally Tenvad's green screen has been coloured with a light green pencil but I wanted her screen to look more saturated as it should, so I tried the highlighter. While the overlaps tend to show up a bit, the saturation is still present and thus was not a total loss.

I remember during the summer I encountered a Hawkmoth. And thus you got to see Tenvad face off against a Hawkmoth of her own. Here he is again, glaring at his ultimate desire, a bright light. This has to be my favourite watercolour pencil masterpiece that I have ever created! The head of the moth himself is nicely done, not too saturated and the eye reflects the light rather well. The light however steals the show for me, it feels so much more real than anything I have coloured to date. I did not apply any paint where the bulb physically is, and the rest is a gradient from yellow to brown to black. I look at this piece and sometimes I have to look away because it genuinely feels like I am looking into a light! Do you get that feeling, or maybe it only works looking at this in the flesh. Regardless, I consider this (out of all of my work) colour blending at it's finest.

John Esposito was going to be added to the gang but seemed to face into the shadows. This character was designed solely from a pizza. Everything from his costume to his colour scheme. Even his head is shaped like a slice! I didn't have any gray scale pieces by the time it came to working in this box (there is red featured in the crystal orb's box) so I used a ball point pen and that alone to draw and shade the trademark beard of John Esposito. It's been a long time since I did a piece like this so it was quite interesting, I don't think I have done it since my A Levels, only this one turned out so much better, I have little surprise in saying!

One character you probably don't know much about is Ida Noe, who wouldn't know herself!  What you're seeing is the tail in her hair, pulled into it's question mark like pose by the headband. This box was coloured using just pen and shaded the same way, no outlines this time.

Now all you're seeing is a pair of eyes, not looking to happy. What could this possibly be a reference to? In my early days on this blog, I created a human prediction of the girl in question from the song 'Five Colours In Her Hair', as sung by McFly. I could never find a music video for the song and do depicted the girl from scratch. The background of his piece, quite obviously, being her hair's colours.

And what of this last character in the bottom right? Well I haven't posted him on the blog yet, but I do intend to bring him out of the shadows some time. Once I do, he will make sense and so will the gimmick he has. I'm afraid until then he's just going to be a mystery for you to wonder about.

So that's all of the content provided in this special masterpiece. Feel free to go back through the blog's history to see the entries such content in this piece refers to. I hope you like this and have enjoyed the work I bring to this blog. I will continue to post of course as this is only a small dose of what I can provide you and with time, my skills will grow in order to provide you with much more. Thank you for joining me on this journey and here's to the next milestone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment