Friday 15 September 2017

I Call It 'Miracle De La Coccinelle'

This is actually a rather old piece I did earlier in the summer, but this week I finally sought to finish it and I can say I think the wait has paid off.

So I created this after hearing about the game 'Passparout the Starving Artist', I have not played this myself as I don't tend to play games but I have watched the game being played and was inspired by it to create this Frenchman trying to sell a painting.


And here he is, with his wine and baguettes as he convinces this potential customer to buy his painting. The colouring for this piece is what kept it waiting for so long. I knew I wanted the painting itself to be in colour but as to how the rest of the composition would be given colour was a decision I struggled to make. I eventually decided to just make everything grey scale so that the painting would pop. I used my only pen collection truly suitable for the job of grey scale masterpieces, my Tombow pack. I have missed using these pens and had finally found them this week and I'm glad not to have forgotten how to work with them.

And now for the painting. To give it a painting effect, I resorted to my watercolour pencils. I just had to think what to 'paint'. I don't usually find myself in the situation of coming up with two different artworks to make one. Well it was only this week when that idea actually came to me and I can't believe I didn't realize it before.

Something French that is currently popular and indeed something I enjoy, is our Miraculous Ladybug. So why not paint a ladybug? No I didn't draw Marinette herself, I drew a literal Ladybug and then even made sure I was drawing a genuinely French flower to place the ladybug on. However I think the colour came across a bit too blue in the end, the blue was only meant to function as a shadow.

Looking at the completed result, I am very satisfied and quite proud of my grey scale work. But to be fair, I do use artist's markers for that effect which is outside the majority of my supplies. I do have hopes to expand on my marker collection, as for now I only have skin tones and greys. Maybe I need to sell that ladybug painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment