Tuesday 4 April 2017

The Alphabet Challenge | G

G is for Gargamel



For this entry in the alphabet challenge, I plunge into newer depths by using watercolour pencils. I also combined my pencil colour with a watercolour palette which on it's own was too desaturated to make anything look decent. I only had the following colours in pencil format:

Black, Blue, Brown, Orange, Pink, Purple, Yellow, White

With these I had to create the colour scheme for Gargamel, which was easier than I believed. For the skin, it was the obvious choice of placing the orange pencil lightly on the paper but for the legs, shoes, eyes and the patchwork part of Gargamel's gown, I had to mix my pencils. 

For the lower body section, pink and orange were crosshatched over each other and then having applied some red from my palette, painting over the pencil created a red that was ten times more solid. The green was more challenging, because although I had Blue and Yellow, just mixing them together to make a green doesn't always look as appealing. But with the aid of some green from the palette, the green that came out on the paper was most satisfying, exactly the shade I was going for.

As you can see my choice for G is the arch enemy from The Smurfs, who I hope is being done justice in the recently released film, The Lost Village. I can remember watching the live action movies and being disappointed, but that's all in the past now. I was going to draw Azrael alongside him but I was pressed for time and so the cat did not feature.

Have you seen the letter F? If not you can check it out via my page for the 'Alphabet Challenge' as well as all previous entries. Look out for H coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment