Friday 21 April 2017

Kuki Sanban [Numbuh 3] - Fan Art

After seeking some nostalgia, I have been making myself familiar with a cartoon I only wish I could have embraced back in it's day. I'm talking about the Codename : Kids Next Door, KND in short. I only had seen Operation : Minigolf until recently and can see why this show was so credible. One particular element I enjoy is the art style which feels like a mixture of the 1930's Disney style and Roger Hargreave's Mr. Men. I liked the style so much that I just had to draw one of the characters, and so I chose Kuki.


If not for my first (and for many years only) episode being about Hoagie (2), the design I would remember best is Kuki's. Part of it might be the colour scheme, which apart from her skin and green elements consists of grey scale colours, allowing her colour to stand out. Or is it the fact you don't really get to see her hands from under the sweater which also allows for an interesting silhouette?

For whatever reason Kuki's design was great, it made me chose to draw her as a test to replicate the style. I also returned to the varying widths in my outlines and the watercolour pencils (becoming a quick favourite of mine). I decided to use only greyscale colours and Kuki's green, for reasons of which contributed to my appeal towards her design.

There's not really much else I can say other than I really enjoyed working on this and that I loved drawing in the KND art style, I will most probably return to these characters again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment