Wednesday 9 May 2018

Flamingo Dress

I saw some face painting of a flamingo and it looked like a masquerading mask. This inspire me to cr ate what was intended to be a ball gown for a masquerade ball, but I don't think this dress design would qualify for that now. Either way it's a dress with a mask and inspired by a flamingo.


The physical design of the dress, needless to say, is designed to resemble the flamingo. The gloves and shoes are based on the beek and the hair of the model is actually inspired by the flamingo's neck. The dress has actual feathers, which are the indigo sections of the dress. The only indigo section not to be made of feathers is the headband. The reason the dress is shorter than a ball gown is because I wanted a fair amount of the legs to be visible, as is the case with flamingos.

The choice of colour obviously comes from actual flamingos, though the only colour that is exception to the rule is the indigo colouring used on the feathers. This is because the face painting that inspired this piece actually used pink and paint the flamingo.


Here you can see a few sketches of preparation for the dress. There is one particular aspect of this piece that I struggled with and that was the legs. The angle of the legs when wearing a dress or skirt is actually rather difficult for me to draw. I encouraged myself to do it anyway so as to get the practice, hopefully I will find some references to get some more practice and struggle less when drawing this pose in future.

Overall this was a dip into waters I am more of a stranger to. My attempts at dress design could probably be better but then it could also be much worse. The more characters that I draw or create, the better my costume design is going to get. It's all just a matter of time and I'll just make sure to be having a ball while that time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment