Saturday 19 May 2018

Evil Counterparts | Foey and Plottie

How do I explain myself this time? There was an idea that had been lingering in the back of my mind, a numerous chat and it led to this. Now we have these two villains, counterparts to Droey Drawson and Lottie Line. Maybe they're from an alternate reality, or did Agrius create them specifically for our heroes' demise, maybe one day we'll know.


So that was end goal for this masterpiece, villainous variants. This was an idea I was feeling passionate enough about to go full out and use my favourite style of illustration (for that I don't mean drawing in the Drawson style), making use of my Microns, brush markers and coloured pencils all together! It took me quite a few days to put this together and by the looks of it, I can say it paid off.

Foey was an idea I had in my mind for a long time. I always wanted to make a Reverse Flash character that would par against Droey. This would be his official debut, and he was finally granted his name. I took the Droey design and started to make little physical changes. The first change was the star symbol on the cap, turning it upside down creates a satanic symbol. It felt like a no-brainier to make this change. To add a bit more black to the colour scheme I gave Foey a leather jacket and a smudge glove (not that I am against either of those). The trousers were changed, removing details from the waist to make up for the splatters at the bottom of the trouser legs.

The hair was given sharper edges and my moustache and stubble were replaced with a goatee. One change that I didn't intend to make was the shirt, it came to me that as a villain he should have something deadlier than a spoon on his shirt, so a knife was the answer. The most obvious difference between Foey and Droey would be the colour schemes, Foey clearly replacing blue with orange. This works due to being the complimentary colour to blue but also because I've never really done orange.

Unlike Foey, Plottiedoes not go the lengths of choosing a contrasting colour scheme but instead a goes for a darkened scheme. Greys are black and links are maroon. I drew a little inspiration from the Evil Queen for the headwear and converted her pinafore into armoured dungarees.

This piece took me a week in whole to create, sketches included! While I'd like to be able to work faster, I think the time paid off in this case to become one of the most beautiful things in the sketchbook. Want to see more for Fory and Plottie, or even put them up against their counterparts? Be sure to let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment