Friday 17 November 2017

The Jolly Drawson | Acrylic Painting!

I've got a new sketchbook! And this one came with a canvas cover that you could paint, so I did this.


Now for those of you who follow this blog, you'll know I have never posted any work featuring acrylic paints. In fact, this is the first time I have used acrylic paints in almost a decade!

To start off easy, I decided my acrylic painting would be a 'three colour challenge', and so three random colours were selected. It took me a couple of weeks to come up with just what I would use these colours to do and then I came up with the boat out at sea as the sun was setting. This had the potential for my three colours to be used to perfection. My three colours were Brown, Cobalt Blue and Vermillion.

Given how long it has been since I last worked with acrylics, I am satisfied with the results. The only thing I did with this piece that did not include the acrylic paints was the lettering on the boat as well as a few lines, also drawn with black lining. I did intend to mix the colours so I could also have purple but I think the colour became a bit muddy in all of the brown that was taking over.

The shapes are simple, the colour usage fairly simple and the story about this piece is simple, but it's that simplicity that helped me to accomplish this and see potential for my chances of stepping back into the world of acrylic paints. Will I return to these? Most probably, there is also a back cover on this sketchbook crying for some colour, just what will I do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment