Monday 13 November 2017

The Alphabet Challenge | W + News Regarding The Future

W is for West North


So I've ran out of pages in my sketchbook, thus the remainder of the Alphabet Challenge will be done of similar sized sheets of card to be kept with the sketchbook. But before I continue about the art, allow me to give a brief introduction to West.

So West North, middle name East, is a hip hop dancer that was formerly part of a hip hop troupe before choosing to broaden his horizons at dance studio 'The Next Step', also the name of the show he comes from. West has been around through the show's run and although I stopped following the show by now, I find it entertaining and enjoyed the character dynamics, which would change each season. West is without a doubt one of the funniest characters in the series and helped The Next Step to be the light hearted show I needed it to be (around the time of discovering this now, I needed a bit of uplifting). So with that out of the way, let's discuss the creation process.

One thing I noticed about my Alphabet Challenge entries is that they mostly are drawn to precisely resemble the character or to depict them in the 'Drawson style'. However very few actually are attempts at realism. I knew from the beginning of this challenge I wanted West to make me draw a realistic and relatively dynamic posture.

I reverted back to the methods I used when making my entry for the letter A, however using what I have learned since to see if I have evolved at all. This entry has the advantage of being put together on a smoother surface, the paper in the sketchbook would always leave little white dots where coloured pencils were used.

With my entry for A, the character is wearing gloves and clenching his fists, so you don't get to see much out of the hands. Additionally he is wearing boots. West here has both of his hands and feet exposed so I'm drawing about a much human body as possible, before jumping into near nudity! Hands I'm somewhat okay with, they're not easy but I've drawn them a lot.

Feet however are a lot more challenging, down to the lack of having drawn feet (especially compared to hands). I did my best to find references matching the angles necessary but I was suffering technical difficulties at the time and with a deadline to meet, I had to make do with what was available. I honestly think they're some of the finest feet I have ever drawn, so maybe I'm starting to get good enough to draw feet without a reference? ...nope. Well below are the sketches that led me up to what you saw at the top of this post, along with a sneak peek of some content being posted in the future.


Have you seen the letter V? If not you can check it out via my page for the 'Alphabet Challenge' as well as previous entries. Look out for X coming soon!

News Regarding The Future

So things may be slightly changing around Droey's Draws over the course of the next few months. This is partly because the Alphabet Challenge is soon to end, but mainly due to the fact that my supplies are rather awkward at the moment. More about that will be explained in a future upload.

I have laid out what I'm going to be doing over the next month, news which you will be receiving on the 1st December, and then after that most of changes should be applied to the scheduling and content of this blog. That's all for now, rest assured I will continue to provide content as scheduled in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment