Monday 27 November 2017

The Alphabet Challenge | X

X is for XJ9 'Jenny Wakeman'


Nickelodeon's slightly less famous comparative to The PowerPuff Girls, 'My Life As A Teenage Robot' starred one robot girl, XJ9 who prefers to be called Jenny. I watched most of the third season since I discovered the show after it's time but it definitely appealed to me, especially the artistic aspect. I was originally going to be putting Xever Montez (Fishface) in this challenge but since I had Master Splinter for s, there was little point in adding another TMNT character.

I spent a day sketching Jenny Wakeman, making sure I got her proportions correct and making note of her colour scheme, a simple but effective choice. Most of the sketching was towards deciding on a pose for her to take. I've realised the beauty of making this amount of sketches prior to the actual entry, as now my poses are becoming more dynamic and the the poses used are the best of what I can come up with. In the end I actually merged two of my sketches to cease the Jenny you see in my final piece.


And now for the sad news. So I used watercolour pencil on this piece, which is fine. However to try and stay closer to home with the official style, I used a coloured pen for the outline, of which I only have in the form of pens not conventionally designed for art. The result is that the watercolour bled in most places. It was too late for me once I started, I had to apply water to the who,e thing and hope for the best. Luckily little damage was done and I was able to use my white pen to correct the first oils takes, these being in the mouth and one of her fingers. I leave the rest down to just being a case of wear and tear in her battles, perhaps it's been a busy day.

Only two more entries left for the Alphabet Challenge, to find out when you will be seeing those entries, check my post on the first of December, where I will include a section regarding what's to come over the next few months.

Have you seen the letter W? If not you can check it out via my page for the 'Alphabet Challenge' as well as previous entries. Look out for Y coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment