Friday 24 November 2017

I Started My New Sketchbook | Phineas and Ferb Cast

Before I get started, I should address that I was not at my best on this particular day and was pushing myself through this so that the new sketchbook would actually have been started. Also expect my thoughts on this new book further down in this post.


So my intention was to give Phineas and Ferb a new look/style, particularly being more shape based than it previously was. However that intent seemed to get lost along the way. I was particularly pleased with how Candace, Ferb, Perry and Isabella turned out. The reason I didn't colour anyone else' skin other than Candace was because the ink was too dark. I definitely need a bit more work on Doofenshmirtz, sorry Heinz!

Thoughts On The New Sketchbook

Okay, I think I was caught in a web with this one. I'm not going to say that this is a terrible sketchbook, it just wasn't the best purchase for me. I think it's clear that what made me buy it was the canvas cover, giving me the chance to step into acrylic painting again and hold a sketchbook with a cover of my own (rather than sticking stuff onto the cover).

I was unable to properly examine the paper since the book was wrapped in clear packaging to protect the canvas. The paper inside is smooth, which is it's best quality. However it's also rather thin and toned, but not toned enough for white pencil to show up. The thinness of the paper means ink can be seen right through even when the page is laid flat on the rest of the book.

On the plus side, this sketchbook is encouraging me to sketch more, since now to avoid ruining my art work, pencil is the best option of material when working on the other side. You'll most probably see more sketchy work in the future, including preliminary sketches for other artworks. However my work might look somewhat limited in this book, I'm not sure of how my watercolour pencils work on this paper yet and am quite nervous to find out.

If presentation isn't your highest priority in a sketchbook or you're after something to just mess around and experiment, this is probably the sketchbook for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment