Wednesday 17 April 2019

Colours Personified 2 - At last!

For the longest time we've had two characters Albiona and Redd, both of which can be found on the Droey's Draws website. They were part of an intended line of characters based on colours. I was always saying how I would add to this list but in over a year I never did, until now.

I have made the effort to add to the colour series with four new entries, here are the colours blue, yellow, green and black!


I'll go from right to left, simply because the designs get more interesting towards the left. First of all is Mazarine. I went for a calm character with flowing features, leaning towards the traits that are connotation with lighter blues. I've noticed not many of my female characters have hair that goes straight down, so I chose to give her no accessories in her hair, allowing it to flow to it's full potential.  Mazarine wears a bodice with a long skirt, decorated with a wavy pattern along the bottom. You'll notice something new with Mazarine, and that's the addition of visible lips. This has only been done on one character before, and that's Tenvad. I've always wondered how I'd go about with lips in this style, forgetting that all this time one of the main characters had pink lips! The style is based on Kim Possible's lips, though that may have been obvious.

The second design contains another first. Eurion Bowie is the first child character in the collection, young adult teens excluded. This is because when researching the colour yellow, it was said to be considered very childish among males as well as careless. I'm not sure if Eurion is going to be this size (compared to the other characters), but was drawn this size so I could focus on the design. Going for the careless look I gave him scruffy hair and mismatches shoes as well a dark overalls to make a mess in. I don't know what Eurion's been eating but it's turned his tongue a bright yellow!

This next design was actually going to be one of the Sbookies that I covered in Inktober but was rejected. Lucky for this scarecrow, the thought of using green led me to design one and is perhaps my favourite of the colour character designs! Autumn Green is the result of decisions taken to go for something farmyard style and has gone with the Spud the Scarecrow vibe. This one's not a trouble maker, just a mute Scarecrow living a quiet life.

I was concerned about putting hay in her design since hay is yellow, but with these character designs are restricted to a single hue so I had to stick to green. I was needing to use a lighter shade to balance things out in any case so chose a lime green that in comparison might look close enough to hay, I have no regrets about doing so. There's the idea that colours should be used to be other colours, since in comparison to sorrounding colours they will look different. I can't say if it worked or not this time but it's a good enough result.

Lastly there is the black character design. I didn't want to go for an evil character but black can represent death and power, so it's either grim character, super villain or Batman. I went for the grim character, but using the idea of black having a professional look to continue adding to the Sbookies world. This is the grim reaper's manager I suppose. He does all the paper work and keeps grim informed. He shares similar design features with the grim reaper as seen in Sbookies, such as the thin body. His name? Mr. Kieran Blackwell, he dealt with the Grim Reaper and became a partner in business, being granted immortality so he could do so.

So what do you think of these characters? Let me know who your favourite is and in good time, hopefully sonnet than later, I'll be making more colour themed characters!

No comments:

Post a Comment