Wednesday 7 November 2018

Batman Did It!

There's this viral video in which a young boy has drawn on a mirror with lipstick, he has the cheek to blame Gotham's caped crusader, Batman for the stunt! Well good news for him, there's new evidence that has come to light, Batman has been caught drawing on mirrors again!


And it appears he was hoping to frame Joker! Catwoman was not best pleased when she found out what had happened to her lipstick.

This provided me with two challenges, firstly was to draw Batman in the realism style, I refused to back out from the oppurtunity. Secondly this piece would require myself to draw a reflection, something which I have not done in years, and certainly not in my realism style. I did use a reference for this illustration but it was a picture of a rather thin girl than a buff male, so all I could use the reference for was the angles and anatomical features, particularly with the hand. It was down to my collection of human figures on Pinterest that I was able to make the body masculine enough to be Batman.

The Batman design is based on the current Batman in the current film series. The head turned out much better than in any of my sketches, even though I think the right ear was illustrated incorrectly.  Another part of this illustration I love is the reflection, I had the feeling it would take me a long time to sketch out a reflection but most of it came easier than expected.

This takes me back to an illustration of Spiderman I did back in 2016, in which my journey towards loving art again began. Do you draw superheroes? Let's see what awesome superheroes you can bring to paper, hopefully they'll be behaving better than Batman!

No comments:

Post a Comment