Wednesday 26 September 2018

Star's Got Legs! ... oh yeah, and a Genie

This is an idea I've held off for too long.At last I am illustrating the genie mermaid, which I originally sketched back in Mermay. And as I promised, Star's got tails and she's showing them!


Either Star has woken the genie from her slumber or the genie has already been woken and is just having a stretch, either way Star is very impressed. The pose was a reference I found on Google and I had to alter the tail slightly so that the genie could be gracefully swimming out from the lamp. The colour scheme for the genie was a case of 'Must have green' and then it was a matter of working around that. The skin colour is actually the skin colour For Ida Noe, though I have never used that combination of pencils before so I ought to remember it so as to finally give Ida the colours she deserves. The pony tail is a bit thin but other than that I love how the genie has turned out.

Star's twin tails was something I decided on when drawing her friends, since three of the other mermaids had single tails. I gave Star a pleated texture to separate her body from the tail, I think it suits her quite nicely. What I like about twin tail mermaids is that they are better at impersonating human characteristics, while it may take away from the challenge we are supposed to overcome when drawing mermaids. All I can say is blame it on the person who discovered or invented twin tail mermaids!

Of course I discovered that Kasey Golden made a mermaid with starfish style legs, maybe I should've done that for Star! Oh well, maybe another design. Here's a prompt for you, how would you or one of your characters react to meeting a genie? Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment