Wednesday 13 June 2018

Inside Out, Inside Droey

Inside Out is a good movie, you can't argue with that. I do enjoy the concept very much and am surprised that it didn't spawn something of a meme by taking miscellaneous people or fictional characters and going inside them! In fact I've only seen such a humour taken on inside the minds of Thomas the Tank Engine, so allow me to create one of my own!


While in the movie, the characters are all meant to resemble Riley's emotions with defining traits of their own vessel, I thought it would be a bit more interesting for the emotions to fully take the form of their vessel, tweaking them all to match the emotions. I wanted my emotions to all be interacting with each other since that is most likely to be the case, every emotion is contributing a little something to the presentation we express. With Anger I had to draw him throwing his hat to the ground, something  completely expressive and a trait in so many fictional characters; so I let him take the lead and moulded everyone else around him.

Fear is obviously afraid of what Anger is capable of and trying to keep his distance, unable to look away at the sight of angry Droey. The face on Fear is perhaps my favourite thing in this whole piece, it's priceless! In case it is difficult to tell, Fear has backed into Disgust, who clearly doesn't like that. Sadly I ended up covering half of disgust's face but I get the feeling that he wouldn't want to be seen with the rest of the Droeys so it sort of pays off.

Looking this piece as a whole, I suppose it is actually Sadness taking the lead, providing a reason for Anger to get angry. I seem to have more blues than any other colour so Sadness' shades are more diverse. Given all of these emotions are supporting negative feelings, it came to the point where it was time to wonder just how Joy would fit in with the rest of the piece. Quite naturally I realised that Joy would be trying to list Sadness' spirits, since the two emotions tend to rely on each other (both in and outside of the movie).

Lastly I gave a little glow around each of them, since Joy in particular had a little glow to them in the film. This was a fun project and the result while not perfect is something I can be satisfied with. Perhaps I should come back to this to give one of the other emotions the leading role and see how it would affect their actions. There's a good four other possibilities to try out here. Why not try it out yourself and see how your five emotions are behaving?

No comments:

Post a Comment