Wednesday 20 June 2018

Drawing On The Go - Part One

Here is the first installment of a two part series where I will be making art while in motion! Part two comes out on the 27th of June.

So I was on a long journey and I decided I would take the oppurtunity to draw with a stability handicap. I always find a hard and still surface to draw on, so not having any stability definitley stops me from making my masterpieces. So what can I come up with when I don't have a steady surface, references or coloured art supplies? Well this time I'm drawing Batman!


I had a pencil and a pen to hand, so I started by sketching out Batman, this was less different from my usual process as sketches are less tidy anyway. I created the image that I would then ink and moved on to the pen, which proved to be quite pleasant! Given that the pen's markings would be subject to the movement of the vehicle as well as my hands,  still had a decent amount of control over where the  pen drew.

I started with the thicker outlines that would mark the edges of Batman's mask. I think it is because these lines were thicker that I had less difficulty overall. It certainly helped the line shading to stay within the lines for the most part. Once I was done with the pen, I went back to the pencil to try and shade Batman's head and add a darker tone to his mask. The pencil didn't make such a mark but it made enough to shade the chin which was good enough for me.

I deemed the artwork finished and ten minutes later the journey was done and I could sign it. This was fantastic but it wasn't challenging enough, so I knew I would come back to this on my return journey. Come back in a week's time for me to do another piece without pencils!

No comments:

Post a Comment