Monday 21 August 2017

The Alphabet Challenge | Q

Q is for Harley Quinn?


Sorry, nobody with Q really spoke out to me so I sort of cheated with this one.


You'll notice that I haven't necessarily drawn Harley Quinn but instead have drawn a playing card, 'The Quinn of Diamonds'? I figured since The Joker sometimes holds playing cards to introduce himself that Harley Quinn should have her own card to follow in suit *ahem* with her Mr. J.

So I grabbed my pack of playing cards and look at the picture cards to see how I could paste Harley Quinn into the frame. I knew I would have to design this so that it flawlessly would be symmetrical whichever way you looked at the card.

Granted this piece could have had a bit more detail but the simplicity of Harley Quinn's costume made it difficult to add anything in the sections left bare and black, hence my decision to add a diamond pattern much like that on her costume towards the bottom left of each side.

Colouring this card was a simple move, as the red and black were commonly used colours on playing cards anyway, in fact I don't know a pack which doesn't use those colours. The picture cards I have use blue to outline their picture cards, hence the use of blue outline on my Harley Quinn card.

Overall I think this is one of the more interesting addition to the Alphabet Challenge, unconventional in every way. Funny thing is, it wasn't going to turn out like this and I was going to just draw Harley Quinn with my own spin on the costume design, but when sketching it didn't really work out. Here, allow me to enlighten you on some of my humility by showing it you.


Have you seen the letter P? If not you can check it out via my page for the 'Alphabet Challenge' as well as previous entries. Look out for R coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment