Saturday 5 August 2017

Flashback : Sonic The Hedgehog Designs

I was looking through my picture folders and came across a folder that for the most part I had forgotten about. For about two years these pictures have sat collecting dust and I doubt I'll be doing anything special with them, although the idea was nice at the time.

So allow me to introduce to you some designs I had in mind for iconic characters from Sonic The Hedgehog, as well as info regarding what could've been a more serious toned series of adventures for him.

Please note that the characters are tracings of pre-exisitng footage/promos of characters which have been modified, simply for the purpose of references when making illustrations based on such designs.

Sonic Maurice Hedgehog

Now Sonic, kind of wasn't. This was actually going to be the descendant of the original Sonic The Hedgehog that we all know and love. This Sonic kept himself to himself and didn't speak much. He also felt shame for having yet to match the abilities his father had, such as to run over water or reach the speed of sound.

You may also notice that Sonic has his ascot like in Sonic Boom, only it has been coloured red to suit his colour scheme better. I like his Boom design but the random brown accessory is rather off-putting I find.

Tails 'Miles' Prowler

What can I saw about Tails? So little was changed about him. The only real modifications I made to him with giving him a new set of gloves, I believe more reminiscent to his Sonic Boom counterpart and the addition of his belt, again from Sonic Boom. But I didn't go full out Boom and decided to leave out the goggles, he doesn't need to be that obviously techy.

Knuckles The Echidna

Knuckles remains mostly as his original form does, and his fur now matches the deeper shade of red from his original video game appearances. I also made his body larger in proportion to his head and buffed him out, but within reason so that it doesn't look over the top. Be honest, did you notice the size difference before I pointed it out?

Amy Rose Hedgehog

Now it goes without saying I have always been entertained by Amy's character, but Sonic Boom perfected her. Their use of Sonamy is probably the best thing about the show. Anyway, this design is mostly original Amy, but she now has a dress design similar to her Boom counterpart, but styled as her more traditional red dress. In this concept I intended for Sonic and Amy to be a thing for a while, but for it to be revealed they were actually siblings separated at birth, thus undoing the relationship. They'd still remain friends and all, and Sonic would move on to someone else over time, I think. But that I shan't say until I reveal more designs to you, that is if you'd like to see more.

As I pointed out on Knuckles' design, his colours match those from his original video game appearance. The same can be said for all of these designs here. That is except from Amy, whose pink and possibly her skin tone are the only matching colours (given that her original video game appearance was a very different design). Amy's red and gold are a match to Sonic's, allowing a sense of uniformity which given the concept suited for these two.

If anyone wants to put these ideas to use then be my guest, it would be nice to see how they turn out when given a bit of work. Let me know if you liked any of these ideas or design elements and if you would like to see more interpretations (no I won't be making any by request, this is a showcase of old work). I have a few more designs that would be of interest so I do hope you are up for seeing some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment