Wednesday 24 July 2019

Run Away And Hide, My Dear

I found some old watercolours, so for the first time on this blog you're going to see watercolour art! Here's Redd out in the forest while confidently drinking some cola.


You'll recognize this piece from a YouTube video I uploaded in January. There you had a time lapse of how I created this piece; but if you haven't watched it or don't remember it, this is how it went. I started by using a technique called 'Rule of Thirds', in which the illustration is divided into three sections (horizontally and vertically). This guide can be used to make a piece more appealing but focusing on particular thirds or distributing content between the thirds evenly.

After those guides were laid out I started the drawing itself. I created the simplistic forest with the intention of it being painted only in green, as well as the silhouette in the background. The only part of this drawing that was done in full detail was Redd Radcliff, meant to be a play on the focus effect that can be portrayed in photography.

My choice of Redd has two particular reasons, both explained by a use of colour. Firstly, red is the complimentary colour to green so there's contrast. Secondly, there's the science behind the colour spectrum. Red is the first colour on the spectrum that the eye can see, so by putting a red character in front your attention is drawn to Redd instead of the cool coloured background. This is a trick used by many landscape artists to make you look at the foreground before the background.

And now for the big deal with this piece, it's my first watercolour illustration without watercolour pencils! Working with anything that requires brushes is not my strong point which regulars to this blog may know by this point. But having found a set of watercolours I started collecting from a magazine subscription I had the colours that would suit this piece and the idea of trying to use watercolour was just too tempting! Unfortunately it's a bit sloppy, hardly any smooth gradients and some bits crossing over the outlines laid by pencil. Even going over Redd in pen you can see where paint has gone beyond the intended outline.

I'm quite satisfied with this piece, it's a show of how I've leaned new things and am trying new things. While this piece looks like a comfortable composition it is actually very experimental and while the result is not something that looks perfect, I consider it a decent finish. But to mention something that's probably been on your mind, who is that deer person in the background? Well we'll be seeing her again in the future, but for now she'll have to remain a mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment