Saturday 6 July 2019

How I Started Sketchbook 2

For today I'm going to show you how I leave no page of my sketchbooks untouched, here is the inside of the front cover from my second Sketchbook!


Like the cover from my first Sketchbook, I wanted to feature the cast of Droey's Draws. Back in the first book I filled with page with most of the characters (out of all confirmed characters, Mac and Quaid were the only absent members). I was thinking of cramming as many characters as I could on the page but decided against it in favour of just ten characters. The characters featured in this piece are listed from top left to bottom right.

Gary Thomas
John Esposito
Droey Drawson
Quaid Burt
Mac Littlewood Burt
Evangeline Furtado
Lexi Golden
Ida Noe
Lottie Line
Anne Natalie

After some looking through Pinterest images I came to the conclusion that I wanted to split the image in two, separating the male and female characters and having them ready (ish) for a picture. I would the more Chibi-esque style since I was fitting so many characters into this and would leave the characters white while colouring the background.

The male half of this I am loving, each character is at a different level, doing something different and everything fits perfectly. The blue border was able to go around them fully which makes the borders of the illustration quite clear for the top half.

As for the female half, I wasn't so impressed. I was expecting this one to be easier and to work out fine, but characters were struggling to fit, keep their height differences and one of them's even got an error with their hair! I wanted this part to be equal in quality since I never intended on comparing each half with the other. But given that there are no pink corners on the bottom half of the illustration and how even in the end result the characters are all still similar in head level, it didn't look like I was getting a miracle out of this one. Perhaps it's just because the poses are so uniformed in this one instead of being as chaotic as the male half. This still reflects how the female characters chosen are more orderly than some of the male cast but there was probably a better way to show this.

As a whole, I still like this piece and it isn't an eyesore to look at despite it's difficulties. It still makes for an upbeat introduction illustration to the book as well as a showcase of some of it's characters. You're probably wondering why Tenvad hasn't been featured in this illustration, I did want to include her. The problem is that I had enough difficulty with the characters I did use, let alone trying to fit a non-humanoid character design in there somewhere!

What do you like to do with your first Sketchbook page? Feel free to show what you do, or if there is another way you start your sketchbooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment