Wednesday 10 July 2019

Cowabunga 2 - I Fixed It!

Here's a second attempt at something I tried a while ago. I'm mostly loving this, it's a complete redo of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and things are certainly better than they were previously!


That's right, I even included Venus this time!

I was still feeling bummed about the turnout of my Ninja Turtles and knew I would learn from it. But the thing if I would only learn from it by coming back and doing better, so I decided to get it over with. I have no regrets!

I started off with Michelangelo, probably the best of the lot this time around! His design is pretty much the same though a slight change has been made to his shell which have lost the sections that come between chest and back. He better resembles the Leonardo design from May 2017 than he did the previous time around. His colour scheme is the brightest one, aiming for more orange-ish colours and a skin tone matching the 2012 Mikey.

Donatello was next, and even though he had a change of pose I was able to make it work. His mech she'll is greatly improved and his new head shape is much better, Donatello benefits the most from this piece. The staff is now silver like some sections of his shells do the body proportions are much better than they were before. His colour scheme closely resembles the 2018 Donatello, though I wanted to give him a skin tone closer to the 2012 Donatelloand will probably change it to that at some point, though I don't mind his skin in this piece.

Leonardo finally has a full design, unfortunately his turned out the worst. The line art is fine and I love his design, the only flaw that lets him down is his skin tone. It's too dark for my liking, making himself, Donatello and Venus look like they all share one colour! Additionally the green blends too well with the blue, Leo would definitley benefit from a lighter skin tone. Thing is when I swatched the colour, it turned out lighter than it did when applied to the illustration, this was before it had any colours to compliment! It's a shame really and if not for this error the whole piece would have been wonderful.

Raphael was the best turtle last time, so he hasn't improved or worsened. It was a bit of a challenge making the chose work for his build but I succeeded. My only problem is that his sais are too small, they could do with at least being a bit longer. The green was an excellent choice, contrasting his shell's colours quite nicely.

Lastly there's Venus, finally among the turtles again. I played about with Venus' design a little to make her design a little less like her original design, we can all agree The Next Mutation's designs were a little quirky. I discovered Venus doesn't actually have any pads but does wear shin guards instead as well as a ribbon around her shell, which I have kept minus the initial buckle. The head shape is inspired by Leonardo's from the 'Donnie vs Raph' short released in 2016/2017 on YouTube.

So that's the turtles back and looking better than ever! I'm glad I came back to make this improvement over the original take. Are there any artworks you have recreated in hopes of imrpoving them? Maybe find a piece to recreate and see how you'd master it this time around, like a Draw This Again challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment