Saturday 9 May 2020

Tonic The Warthog

Sonic the Hedgehog is perhaps Sega's most famous icon and there are a ton of Sonic OCs created by the fans, seemingly to the point where a Sonic game was created with a gimmick in reference to this! As shown on YouTube some time ago, I am no longer without a Sonic OC and in this post I'll talk more about Tonic the Warthog.


I can't remember how I resorted to the idea that would be a play on words with 'Tonic Water' but once the idea came to my head I stuck with it. The only things at this point that would be set in stone where the character's name and species. Warthogs have appeared in a few pieces of Sonic media, from the SATAM cartoon to Sonic Boom, all with differing styles. I ended up following the Boom design closely for the head as this was what seemed closest to the Sonic the Hedgehog style we're all familiar with.

I wanted to make the character design look tastefully cringey but I think I worked too hard on the design, darn my perfectionism! The design was given some asymmetry since a lot of the OC designs tended to do this; thus led to Tonic's water glove which he can use to work with his aquatic powers. I decided to give him water based powers as a reference to the source of inspiration for his design (Tonic Water).

In the end I think this design is way past cool! Nah actually I think it's okay, it's not bad and I don't think it's amazing, just good enough to exist in the Sonic universe. Have you got any Sonic OCs or do you lack any? If you already had one you can always draw them again and see if you can make them look any cooler, or if you don't have one you can give it a shot. Have fun seeing how great or cingey you can make them!

No comments:

Post a Comment