Saturday 11 April 2020

I Try Photo-realistic Colouring

Anne Natalie aspires to be a famed fashion designer, but her actual job is modelling. With that in mind I want to create a few illustrations of Anne doing her modelling, so this is one of such pieces.


I went for the photo-realistic look, but without deviating away from the Droey's Draws style. As sophisticated a realism piece may have been, it's important to have an awareness for the 3D space of your character designs so I was more than happy with trying this out.

You'd think looking at the colours that I was inspired by Anne Natalie's colour palette, but I was actually inspired by a photo on Pinterest to use these colours. The light sources were in cyan and magenta, leaving the darkest areas in purple. The only exception to this was Anne's eyelashes which I used an equally dark blue for. Hopefully it doesn't distract too much from the artwork!

This was an enjoyable piece to make, and allowed me to play about with lighting. Truth is there are several technical aspects of art that I really do need to focus more on! Anything I can sneak into Droey's Draws art I certainly want to make a habit of doing so. If you want to play about with lighting or shading, I'd recommend working in a toned sketchbook, but just pencils on white paper can get you started.

No comments:

Post a Comment