Monday 24 July 2017

The Alphabet Challenge | O

O is for Onyx


At least a decade ago, we didn't have the Dreamworks Trolls film. Instead there was this pre-teen girls targeted television show that lasted one season and I consider underrated. This was about five magical 'Trollz' teenagers who had to save the world from ogres and shop at their local mall.

Looking back I can't be sure what it was that got me into Trollz. Was is the art style? The fantasy element? It's catchy theme song? Whatever it was I was hooked and had most probably seen all of the episodes, not that I can so easily remember now.

Each of the five Trollz, collectively known as BFFLs (Best Friends For Life) is named and colour coordinated after a gem, which might contribute to how they can be easily remembered. There weren't many characters I can remember beginning with O that grabbed my attention until Onyx the goth crossed my mind, and so she was chosen.


Ironically Onyx is the one I think I leased acknowledges as a character. I could clearly see the roles that the other four had in their group and never really understood how Onyx connected with the others. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this inclusion of her in my Alphabet Challenge is a redemption. I can most probably put it down to the fact I never understood anything with a darker tone and most probably the 'goth' stereotype fell into the dark category.*

*Please note these opinions are assumptions based on my younger years and not a representation of my current views or behaviour

Now onto the artsy talk. Onyx was sketched up in a day with a traditional pencils and then a mechanical pencil. Then the next day she was inked with a .2 fine liner and around the edges with a 1.0. 

Since I hadn't used them since K, it felt necessary to return to the felt tips for this entry, despite how limited I am at the moment to just twenty-four colours. Regardless the colours were close enough to Onyx's palette so I proceeded with the colours selected. Everything with this piece was going so well until I worked with the shoes. 

You may notice the grey just about suddenly cuts out on her right foot, this being because I was colouring the blacks in her shoes and accidentally coloured in the wrong section. I put a stop to myself immediately but already know it was too late to change what I had done. Other than that my only mistake was with the spell in her hand and her belly piercing, which should be midnight blue and not purple (although the subtlety of this mistake made it bearable).

The Trollz art style is interesting and slightly complicated to build but it is certainly distinctive and you could remember it for years the same way I have. One thing that stands out is how their noses all seem to be of triangular shape (without trying to sound offensive) almost like an upside down pig's snout! But I guess this decision was made based upon general depictions of Troll anatomy.

Have you seen the letter N? If not you can check it out via my page for the 'Alphabet Challenge' as well as previous entries. Look out for P coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment