Monday 20 February 2017

The Alphabet Challenge | D

D is for Daphne Blake



Originally I intended to give you Dennis the Menace, but since I'd drawn Clifford previously I didn't want the colour schemes to clash. As a result I searched a list of D characters I was not only familiar with but actually relevant to my memories or influences. I considered such as Danny Phantom, Danger Mouse and even Dipsy of the Teletubbies! I did consider Doctor Who but 'DrawingWiffWaffles', the user who inspired me to do this challenge chose The Doctor for D so I didn't want to do the same. As a result the choice was narrowed down to Donatello the Turtle or Daphne Blake; as you can see I've chosen the latter.

I reckon my choice paid off very well. Since I was drawing a Scooby Doo character I wanted to add that extra creepy factor to this piece and so taking influence from a rather Tim Burton look and deliberately not adding any pupils I ended up with in my opinion the best Daphne I've drawn to date.

This even turned out as an opportunity to experiment a bit as for the first time ever I used my white pen. It's one of those pens you have to shake and then press hard on the paper to make the ink come out; I'm not sure if they're all like that but if not then I'd prefer a different kind. This is the first time I used it on any art that mattered and having already made sure it worked alright, this was the real test. The result became a marvelous highlight in Daphne's hair which after marking I never dared touch again in case I ruined it!

I also included The Phantom Shadow, also known to some (myself included) as Green Ghost. I chose this particular monster to add to the piece since my favourite PlayStation game to this day 'Scooby Doo : Night of 100 Frights' included a boss level where you had to face off this ghost (which was awesome) to save Daphne.

Have you seen the letter C? If not you can check it out via my page for 'The Alphabet Challenge' as well as all previous entries. Look out for E coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment